Sunday, March 17, 2013

Review - Textual Encounters

Title: Textual Encounters
Author: Morgan Parker
Genre: Romance
Tour Host: Lady Amber's Tours

 
Synopsis:
Katie discovers an unlocked iPhone in the back seat of a taxi. But instead of turning it in to the driver as lost, she decides to keep it for herself. Outside of the usual clutter you would expect to find on a smartphone, what captures Katie's interest is the single conversation she finds on the phone's secure text messaging service, a three-month dialogue between a woman with an uncertain past named Christine and a single, eligible man named Jake. What starts out as a message intended for someone else ends up being the beginning of a relationship more powerful than anything Christine or Jake have ever experienced.
 
Excerpt:
For a brief moment in time while sitting in the cab, the stars align. I realize just how rare these moments are and decide to take advantage of it. I make a quick, mental shopping list of all of those other big things my parents never gave me – the Spring Break trip to Miami Beach for my senior year in high school, the congratulatory BMW for getting accepted to Columbia, the hot boyfriend who was supposed to propose after fourth year and help me avoid the hectic life that typically follows med school. Okay, maybe I couldn’t blame my parents for not getting me that last item, but if the Universe could deliver an iPhone, it sure as hell can find me a husband.
 
With my wish list ready and the iPhone in my lap, I close my eyes and channel all my energy, every last ounce of it, at the Universe. And that’s when it happens. The phone actually starts vibrating. My eyes shoot open and I look down in shock.    
 
My Review:
Katie finds an iphone in the back of a cab and decides to keep it. The phone holds three months worth of texts between Jake & Christine that details their entire relationship. The good, the bad and everything in between. She spends days engrossed in their texts, possibly falling for Jake right along with Christine.
 
The whole concept of the book is unique since the majority of the story is told through text messages. At some points I wished I could get more inside Jake's and Christine's heads, but then I reminded myself that that would've taken away from the mystery of the story. Never fully knowing what was going on behind the texts with these two people. Waiting for next crumb of detail to be discovered right along with Katie.
 
The story ends with a big old cliff hanger which has me wishing the next book was already out because I was left with a bunch of unanswered questions. What is really going on with Christine? Is Katie going to meet Jake herself? I need answers to some of these questions!
 
I guess I'll have to wait for those answers, but you don't have to wait to read the first installment of this awesome new series. I recommend it for any romance fan looking for a quick unique read.
 
Author Bio:
Morgan Parker is the pen name of someone who thinks he is more important than he really is. At 38 years old, Morgan has two young children and is married to a woman who puts up with his self-diagnosed hypochondria and literary obsessions.
 
Links:

 

No comments:

Post a Comment